This content is for PREMIUM subscribers only.
- I have a partner with whom I have just fallen pregnant and our relationship is quite new—under a year. We are not married and we have had a lot of difficulties in the past few months as various issues have bubbled to the surface, the foremost of which is how to effectively discipline a child. He has a 3-year-old child from a previous partner and when the child misbehaves, he will spank the child. I have spoken very clearly how I feel about it and why, and we have had many arguments about it. My concern is that he will also spank the child that I am bearing and I totally disagree with that. I have offered him books and papers about the negative sides of spanking and he has not read them. Where do I draw the line?
- I have been spending time with a 4 year old child, every week. I find it impossible to let go and really join with him in his play. I get a horrible frozen-up kind of feeling in my chest, mixed with terror. The hardest things for me are the most expressive things, like singing, or being loud, or being creative, or being physically expressive in play. This is intensified even more because my play sessions with him are videoed and viewed by others (it is part of a program for children on the autistic spectrum). As a young child I had this same terror of expressing myself. What can I do to heal? I thought that spending time playing with this young child would help me break the patterns, but the terror and sense of despair at change in me ever happening seems to just be intensifying.
- Often times I feel hopeless and depressed. I avoid contact with family and friends as much as I can, and sometimes I even miss work. My wife wants me to see a therapist, and I have been to one on and off, however I don’t really want to go. I am afraid that if I don’t go my wife will leave me. I want to get better and live a better life, but I can’t seem to get it together. Why is it that I just can’t seem to get my act together?
- My father passed away a few weeks ago and I feel so tired. I took the first week off work, and now that I have returned to work if I stop for a moment throughout the day I become very sleepy. While my father was ill I spent as much time as I could with him. I was going to see him after work, staying overnight at times, and helping out as much as I could. Am I just exhausted or is this a sign of repressed emotions?
- At what point did You go from feeling separate from God and longing for Him to being able to feel God inside and not feeling that separation anymore? What did that change feel like? Did it happen all at once or gradually over time?
- Can You please explain more about what the “dark night of the soul” is and what is experienced during that time? What is its purpose in our lives? Does everyone have to go through that experience?
- Why do some people cry easily and frequently, while others don’t? Should everyone be able to cry like that?